Monday 5 September 2011

Updates part Two

 

Just a few days after complaining about ‘updates’ I thought I would check to see if there were any comments on this blog.

I hadn’t checked for a while. It would only take a few seconds.

I signed in to discover only that I could not get any further at all.

I forget the exact words, something about ‘my browser’ and ‘not supported’ and ‘try Chrome’

Not being a techno person I had no idea what ‘Chrome’ was. Something shiny and cheap and to do with plumbing came to mind, but before I could gather my scattered wits my Internet connection stopped working.

It seemed after trying again and again to access the backroom of the blog that it all been ‘updated’ which is a euphemism for ‘it doesn’t work any more’.

For some reason the Google blog would only work in conjunction with a Google browser… funny that!

So heigh ho! I download ‘Chrome’ so I can get into the back room.

By then I’d forgotten why I’d wanted to go in there anyway, as so many minutes had passed.

Then I remembered, comments.

I check.

An hour has gone by.

There were no comments.

I feel uneasy though about certain websites only being accessible if you have their own particular shiny browser, if that is what ‘Chrome’ is.

A friend was telling me how she had tried to update her blog and mentioned Safari and something else. The something else she had forgotten doesn’t like to work with her Mac computer. A simple uploads task that should have taken just a click took her instead the entire morning as she struggled to get various interfaces (if that’s what they were) to relate to each other.

It seems such a shame that there are such in built barriers, and it’s made worse when your old way of doing something has been suddenly blocked by new barriers.

“Do you want to go back to the old format one backroom message prompts?”

Yes, yes, yes!

 

.

No comments:

Post a Comment