Saturday 16 July 2011

In My Own Internet Bubble

 

Some time ago, someone, somewhere, perhaps on tele, but more likely on the radio, said that we were creating our own internet bubbles every time we went on line.

He tried to demonstrate by popping in to see his neighbour and asking her to tap in a few key words into Google. His experiment didn’t work as it seemed that she got the same recommended sites on her front page as he did. There wasn’t any slant in this direction or that. There seemed to be no truth in it at all.

However, it has just happened to me… this last week.

I am now inside an Internet bubble and there seems to be no escape.

It happened after I’d been researching toilets for my parents. They needed a new one so I had a look at different ones, checking prices and availability and then I phoned them back with the results of my research.

Now whenever I go on line I see adverts for toilets everywhere.

They are everywhere.

Even on my email page.

Now if this happened once or even twice I wouldn’t mind that much, but it’s going on and on.

Just now while trying to find the lyrics to a Castanet song I was dismayed to be distracted by a side bar showing a slideshow of different toilets. How can I sing along to Ray Raposa’s ‘The Night is When You Cannot See,’ when toilets are being paraded across the page in time to the music? How can I ever listen to that song again?

How can I make it stop?

Arrrgggghhhhh!

No comments:

Post a Comment