Saturday 9 July 2011

A Hypochondriac is Born

 

A table lamp wasn’t working downstairs.

So I went to get a light bulb to replace the low energy bulb that was obviously no longer working.

In the half-light of dusk I began to twist the bulb. It turned. All too late I realised that it was twisting as if it was a bulb with a screw attachment whereas the replacement bulb had a bayonet attachment.

I bent lower to peer at it just as the twisting stop and the bulb was freed.

“Oh,” I said, taking a deep breath.

Then I smelt air which had a metallic taint, and to my horror I realised I was only holding the glass part of the light bulb and that the rest was still attached.

I knew that there were dangers from low energy bulbs and immediately rushed outside to take a gulp of fresh air, and I then herded the two of us upstairs.

The following morning I opened windows to ventilate the room. By this time I had read about the dangers of inhaling mercury vapour. I had also searched for diagrams of low energy bulbs so that I could identify the gas that I had inadvertently freed. I knew that noble gases are used, but which one had been used in this Morrison’s light bulb? And had it been contaminated at all by any mercury? I didn’t know. But by this time I had also read about the effects of mercury poisoning.

http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/chemicals/chem_profiles/mercury/health_mercury.html

From which I’d read

“short-term exposure to high concentrations of mercury vapour caused harmful effects on the nervous, digestive and respiratory systems, and the kidneys. Initial exposure to high concentrations of mercury vapour produces symptoms similar to "metal fume fever" including fatigue, fever, and chills. Respiratory system effects include cough, shortness of breath, tightness and burning pains in the chest and inflammation of the lungs. ...Exposure to high, but unspecified, concentrations of mercury vapour has caused death due to respiratory failure. All of the reported deaths resulted from inhaling mercury vapours formed upon heating mercury.

Several case reports have described harmful nervous system effects following inhalation of high concentrations of mercury vapour. The most prominent symptoms include tremors (initially affecting the hands and sometimes spreading to other parts of the body), emotional instability (including irritability, excessive shyness, a loss of confidence and nervousness), sleeplessness, memory loss, muscle weakness, headaches, slow reflexes and a loss of feeling or numbness.

A classic sign of exposure to high concentrations of mercury is inflammation of inside of the mouth (stomatitis), sometimes with a metallic taste, excessive salivation and difficulty swallowing. Other digestive system effects include abdominal pains, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.

Kidney injury is common following exposure to high concentrations of mercury. Reported effects range from increased protein in the urine to kidney failure. Exposure to high concentrations of mercury has also caused increased blood pressure and heart rate.”

All very worrying.

Day 1

That strange taste I now had in my mouth was that one of the symptoms? Did I now have an excess of saliva?

The symptoms “excessive shyness, a loss of confidence and nervousness, sleeplessness and memory loss,” especially worried me as I have all these already, and the thought of these characteristics being exacerbated was deeply depressing indeed.

That night I could hardly sleep.

Day 2

This morning, I have the beginnings of a sore throat and my right shoulder is aching.

Is all this psychosomatic? Did I really inhale any mercury vapour? Would Morrisons really sell a light bulb which would allow a part of it to be unscrewed so easily releasing a gas when people were trying to change it?

When I tried the light it worked (I had screwed the glass cover back on). But now I am worried if it is still safe to use. The light bulb now contains ordinary air. Will this still be okay to use? Was ordinary air being used inside the light bulb all the time and not a noble gas? Could it have been contaminated by mercury vapour?

Yesterday, I realised that there was another reason why the light bulb did not work in the first place.

It had been unplugged.

The plugs sockets were hidden behind the guitar so I didn’t notice.

I never unplug this light so I was surprised.

Then I remembered my son’s girlfriend who had set out various appliances on the coffee table and then plugged them in without a by-your-leave. She must have removed the plug, and then not bothered to plug it back in; and then I had foolishly jumped to the wrong conclusion when I’d tried to switch on the light.

Arrrrrggggghhhh!

No comments:

Post a Comment