Sunday 9 September 2012

Cara Dillon

 

It has been ages since I've been to a folk concert. This summer we went to 'Folk by the Oak'. I wanted so much to see  and hear Cara Dillon.

Things have changed greatly since I last sat on a blanket in front of a stage. For a start people don't do that any more... they take camper chairs. So it wasn't too long before our perfect view of the stage from our lowly blanket became a view of the backs of people's chairs and their obstructing backs.

I hadn't noticed chairs being carried as we walked to the site, so I was amazed when they were suddenly unfolded all around our island blanket, making us feel like lowly citizens.

We suffered.

I had also forgotten, after this year's persistent rain, to bring sun-cream and hats. Our chocolate iced cakes melted in the back pack and our sandwiches cooked. Even when we caught a glimpse of the stage, though we were near the front of the chair area the figures on the stage were minute. You couldn't see faces. A grainy screen gave us a better glimpse of what was going on, but it felt very much like second best.

The performing acts all kept to time, and I felt mounting excitement as Cara Dillon's time slot approached.

By this time, I had managed by judicious craning of my neck to achieve a good view of the grainy screen. Which was probably why a couple suddenly appeared out of nowhere and placed their camper chairs, ones with holders in the arms for drinks, at that exact spot. Still at least I could still watch the airplanes passing overhead.

All the previous acts had started on time, but the minutes were now ticking. Cara Dillon was late. There also seemed to be people on stage from some of the previous acts.

You should never go to a concert to see someone you really want to see. I had compounded this by really wanting to hear her sing a song which had become a favourite. It had been a long time since I had felt so excited and looked forward to something so much.

There was an announcement. The music began more instrumental than vocal. Cara Dillon was ill. Gamely she sang a few of her songs despite being so poorly. These were interspersed by instrumental medleys from previous performers who had gone on stage to help out. All very impressive... but for me oh so very disappointing.

I started to think about how much money I had paid to get there, and the long journey there and back, all for a grainy glimpse of a singer mostly obscured by people's heads.

She did not sing any of the songs I so wanted to hear. But I do so applaud her for still turning up despite feeling so ill and for singing so beautifully.

No comments:

Post a Comment