Monday 29 August 2011

An Update

 

I want an end to “Updates”.

There I am happy in my little computer bubble, oblivious of the magic that makes it all work, happily using just the few bits that I like and understand.

I am perfectly content.

I am happy.

There was a song I’d come across. I just wanted to know when it was written and if the version I’d heard was the original version.

The title was “Let’s Go Dancing” and the band, Drivin’ N’ Cryin’.

I got nowhere on the Internet. Then I thought I’d go and have a look at the iTunes music store and see if I could find the same track and the year it was written.

(I have recently played music on my iTunes player on my PC, but I’ve not had cause to buy new any music for ages since the Internet Radio Station Pandora closed its doors to the UK.)

I clicked on the iStore link to be told I needed a new update to access the iTunes iStore.

I clicked on the link.

Again and again.

I went to the support pages which take an age to update and then show videos on how to download iTunes for the first time… but I didn’t want to do that. I’ve been directed here to get an update and have been left in a sort of no man’s land which does not explain anything about updates.

I try again.

I shut down my computer and restart.

Minutes pass. I still can’t access the iTunes iStore.

I begin again.

Something finally begins to download. I blindly agree to everything, and a status bar tells me its status. It’s looking hopeful.

Then it tells me something is now wrong with QuickTime. The status bar now tells me its  unravelling all that it has just done. And now I’m panicking. Will all my precious music be lost? Already my iTunes short cut icon has vanished.

Terrified, I wait twenty minutes while the install tells me its removing even more files.

Then the computer restarts.

My iTunes short cut icon is still not there. I manage to get iTunes to load up but it looks all wrong. I spend an age amending the view back to the way it was. I then have to send off again for the album art work. Apparently, iTunes can’t find the artwork for 8 tracks. A report has been sent, it says. This makes me feel anxious, even though these are tracks that I have uploaded from discs that I own; but I now feel that iBrother is looking over my iShoulder.

Then I try the iStore. I do get in but the search facility pings and will not allow me to type in my search.

So I close iTunes and start again.

I do eventually find the song, but no date is listed.

So I’ve just spent two hours on this wild goose chase and have wrecked so much to end up with not so much as a feather. All because someone somewhere decided that something somewhere had to be ‘updated’.

The next time I’m asked ever to update anything the answer will be, “No, no no!”

So dear techie type can we please, please have ten years off from updates?

Can all you bright young things who think of these things put all iIdeas on iHold?

Hang on, let me update that….

…can all updates be put on hold? PLEASE!

Thanks!

 

 

Drivin' & Cryin' -- Let's go dancing


Well, the hobo's watch stopped at five o'clock, I fear I'll never find him
Oh Dear John, where are you? I know you're out there somewhere
Well I've got a hurricane in my pocket, but no one will believe me
They poured a bucket of tar on top of a flower, somehow I knew they'd try it
To find it, and defy it, and to buy it
Oh, let's go dancing
Ooh, Let's go dancing
Said the firefly to the hurricane
Said the pouring rain to the open plain
How many times?
Oh, I stopped a freight train with a grain of sand, can you hear it crashing?
I split a mountain in two with a flake of snow, still they won't believe me
Well the tales were tall the stories were old, yet some reason I believed them
I said what do you know about revolution? When all I's taught is patience
And waiting, and making a statement
Oh, let's go dancing
Ooh, Let's go dancing
Said the firefly to the hurricane
Said the falling rain to the open plain
How many times?
Oh, let's go dancing
Ooh, Let's go dancing
Ooh, Let's go dancing
Ooh, Let's go dancing
How many times?

 

.

No comments:

Post a Comment