Thursday 19 May 2011

Yet Another ~Enemy

 

It seems that something happens to me as soon as I step out of the door.

It’s as if the universe is waiting, watching, ready to pounce. It’s a worry!

I have a letter I need to post. It will take me five minutes to walk up the road and five minutes back. Ten minutes in all.

What could possibly happen in ten minutes?

I will even do it in less time as I need to rush to catch the five-thirty collection.

So what could the universe possibly throw at me in less than ten minutes?

I dash out.

I cross the road, and then turn left onto a road named after a poet.

I’m hurrying.

“S’cuse me.”

The voice is faint. Did I really hear that?

I glance around not expecting to see anyone, doubting that anyone was really calling to me.

There is a thin young wisp of a woman standing on the opposite corner next to the corner shop. I stop. I’m imagining that she is hoping I can give her directions; perhaps tell her how to get from A to B. I’m all set to help, but it will have to be quick as I’m in a hurry.

“Can you go into the shop and get me some fags?” she asks.

I’m astonished. Disappointed.

“No,” I say. “They’re not good for you.”

I can’t see her face. I’m not wearing my glasses. I can’t see her reaction as I turn and continue on my way.

But Thin Young Wisp of a Woman instantly becomes a parrot. She is now talking to someone else, and then echoes my words, “They’re not good for you.”

I don’t turn to look. I’m annoyed at myself. Why on earth couldn’t I just say no and leave it at that?

I continue up the road. I post my letter and turn around to go back the way I’ve just come.

As I reach the middle of the road I realise that Thin Young Wisp of a Woman is walking towards me with another teenage girl.

She is whispering about me to her friend. As I approach nearer they are both giggling and staring at me.

I stare back.

“I got my fags,” she laughs triumphantly. She waves the packet.

“More fool you,” I reply.

I then wonder who she got to go into the shop for her. I wonder who was beguiled by her wispy blonde hair and her slight frame. I wonder who thought they were doing her a favour, and who it was that got a smug thrill of satisfaction from their deluded act of kindness.

And I wonder how in less than ten minutes I could have  made yet another enemy!

 

.

No comments:

Post a Comment