Sunday 23 March 2008

How to be the World’s Worst Mum Step 9: The Ultimate Chocolate Egg

.

I swore that not one molecule of chocolate was going to pass my baby’s lips; knowing all too well the perils associated with a life long addition to chocolate.

So why am I now making in the kitchen the ultimate chocolate Easter egg?

It was a swift road to ruin.

There was one Easter when we visited friends and they put his first chocolate Easter egg into his tiny hands before I could stop them.

You have never seen anything if you have never seen a child eating chocolate for the first time. So intense is their sudden greed that they can not find their mouths. They imagine that their mouth actually stretches from one ear to the other as they attempt to ram the entire piece in all in one go; and at the same time they don’t want to let go, so their hands now covered in melted chocolate are in danger of being eaten too.

‘The Mini Teenager doesn’t like chocolate,’ I declared haughtily as I returned to the room.

‘He does now,’ my friend announced gruffly.

The Mini Teenager was now a grinning chocolate gargoyle who could only gurgle one word, ‘More.’

From that moment on my Mini Teenager spurned his organic pureed vegetables and would eat only one thing: chocolate.

Carefully cooked meals, carefully balanced for this vitamin and that mineral went cold on the table as unexpected visitors fed his addition while my back was turned with chocolate buttons.

‘What I would really like for Easter is a giant Cadbury’s cream egg.’ the teenager announced recently. ‘With those creamy bits inside,’ he added. His eyes were misty with longing.

So here I am. His chocolate spoon-licking junky mum.


I’ve filled a hollow Cadbury’s egg with Cadbury’s cream eggs.
Then I filled in the spaces between with Cadbury’s mini chocolate eggs.
And into the crevices I’ve poured 400g of melted Cadbury’s chocolate.

(That’s 400g into each half!)

Oh my…it looks wonderful.



Once the halves have cooled and solidified and have been rewrapped in the wrapper it is to be the ultimate Easter egg hunt prize!

Yum!

2 comments:

  1. Do you have a picture of the finished article?

    You know, I still have a large bar of Cadbury's lying there since I received it as an xmas pressie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Andy,

    Im afraid I don't have a picture of the finished article though amazingly it hasn't been eaten yet. The teenager was really thrilled and he's slowly gnawing his way through it and coming up for air from time to time.

    I'm amazed that you still have some xmas choccie left. You must have amazing will power!

    ReplyDelete