Saturday 23 February 2008

Disturbing Dracula's Grave



This robin, nicknamed Dobbin the Robin, has become my companion on the site of the old brick pile at the bottom of the garden. I’d heard that robins can become quite tame and friendly and this one certainly is becoming so.


He’s put up with me putting brick fragments into plastic bags; sawing out the roots of the old bramble and even worse humming the song from the blog entry below. He’s started to remain within an arm’s length of me as I scrape away at buried bricks and discover old fragments of bone and metal spikes. Perhaps I’m disturbing an old grave of an ex-Dracula.

It took a week but I have finally moved the old brick pile and cleaned up all the bricks that were once there. However, it seems that parts of the old brick pile descend as deeply into the earth as they once rose above it. Digging is frustratingly slow as there are so many deeply buried bricks that my spade clashes and sparks against.

All hope for buried treasure though is dashed as I instead find centipedes and worms much to the delight of the robin. I can’t help feeling sorry for them as he gobbles them up after I’ve disturbed their habitats.

It’s a shame that robins aren’t vegetarian. I wonder if he likes carrots!

No comments:

Post a Comment