Sunday 24 February 2008

Disturbing the Bones

...


I shouldn’t have joked about disturbing Dracula’s grave for I’m now finding a lot of bones. What was very disturbing is I’ve been lifting up bits of broken concrete that probably once formed the floor to a small shed or outhouse. Chillingly, as I eased out a huge concrete lump and turned it over I discovered that there is a piece of bone embedded in it.
(Part of it fell off and is the small bone in the photograph.)

What were the previous inhabitants doing here?



Were they cannibals?

Chewing on their hapless neighbours’ marrow and then tossing their bones into the hardcore mix before pouring over the concrete?

I know that pigs were once kept at the bottom of the garden so perhaps they could be pigs’ bones.

Or has a fouler deed been done here?

The other bone is larger and very strange with the holes in it. It too came from the level below the concrete floor.

Was it Fido?

Or the diseased bone of some leper?

Any bone experts out there?

(The larger bone in the photograph is about 10cms long.)

No comments:

Post a Comment