Friday 16 October 2009

Mellow and Cordial

 

Well, it seems I’m going back onto the supply system.

The computer retired me apparently.

The woman who has replaced the person whom I first met way back in the seventies, when I first went on the supply register, is not a warm soul. She’s an officious impatient type. She’s fat, and wears the most appalling clothes, revealing a dreadful cleavage and even more fatness! Oh dear, you can easily see I didn’t like her at all.

I was having a lot of trouble keeping calm as she demanded this paper and that paper; barely giving me time to comply with her request. I was trying hard to keep the words ‘cordial’ and ‘mellow’ in my head as I tried to give her the right documents. I did manage to remain polite, but only just.

Luckily, I had all that she needed. The notification letters I showed her confirming my teacher’s certificate (which I’d luckily gleaned from my parents’ grand attic clearance) were thankfully enough to confirm that I was indeed a teacher.

The fact that I’ve worked for the county since the seventies and I’ve been on their paper system and computer system for all that time probably would not have been enough!

I had to pay £36 for the CRB check. Even though I showed her my CRB certificate dated 2008. It seems each department needs its own CRB check and certificate. Which is madness! The innocent are being made to pay for the sins of the guilty.

She did apologise though for dropping my name off their computer screens. She is going to put my name back onto the supply list. It will take a month or so. Oh joy!

She stood with hands on hips answering some of my worried questions with the door open wide behind her letting all the noise from the reception area come into the small little room.

I felt her people skills needed a tad of a tweak.

And now I have to wait for the CRB paperwork which could take two months or more.

I have to notify schools that my CRB paperwork is not current and then the Head Teacher can then decide whether or not to employ me. One school has already decided to wait for my new CRB number, as I’m sure will another. So that means no work there for the foreseeable future. I am hopeful that the Head Teacher at my favourite school will be more understanding especially as I’m supposed to be doing 1:1 tuition there soon.

So it looks as though I’m going to find it difficult to find any work in the next few months. Which will give me lots of time for painting and writing…if not eating!

I might have to sign on the way things are going but I really don’t want to.

I must look at this as an opportunity!

It’s an opportunity!

It is it’s an opportunity!

It is!

Oh heck!

 

.

No comments:

Post a Comment