Tuesday 10 March 2009

Tibetan Flag Raising

 

There are some amazing people in the world, and Caroline Scattergood has to be one of them. I was just another bod in the crowd about to sit in the Guildhall in Northampton, but Caroline greeted me as if I were one of her dearest friends with a warm hug. It is this warmth radiating from the Tibet flag raising ceremony that is its triumph. Not only is the flag raised but also people’s spirits are raised too.

Tibet Flag raising 001

Just as I was entering the Guildhall carrying my Tibetan flag I met a Tibetan monk and nun coming towards me. The joy on their faces on simply seeing someone carrying their flag was immense and they both greeted me with their hands together and a short bow which I attempted to emulate. I was so humbled by such an unexpected generous greeting.

Tibet Flag raising 003

Caroline’s words were deeply moving as we imagined the Dali lama’s grandmother being left behind when his family had to flee Tibet fifty years ago; and as Caroline showed us the photograph of the Tibetan child protesting in London as the Olympic flame heavily guarded by Chinese runners passed by we could only see the rightness of a Free Tibet for such gentle people.

The music by Earthdance was astounding and gave us all a chance to meditate and lose ourselves in sounds that were at times resonant with beauty and freedom. Sounds that were carried through the room so like cascading ripples in a pool; or sounds that spoke of the stillness of a mountain top where the high winds can blow.

When the Tibetan flag was ceremoniously unfurled and raised, even though the day was grey and overcast, it was as if there was sunshine. This dignified, blessed, peaceful, request for Tibet’s freedom and autonomy, this beautiful flag is now flying in Northampton’s town centre.

Tibet Flag raising 006

And all of this was Caroline Scattergood’s good work.

No comments:

Post a Comment