Sunday 4 January 2009

5) Slight of Coin…Slight of Name

.
How different it could have been if in the building of the Israeli nation someone could have put caring into its heart.

The kibbutz could have build links with the Arab villages around them. They could have shared their surplus produce with the struggling Arab villages around them.

Small acts of kindness and warmth could have broken down barriers.

Small acts.

Small acts could have made fear something lost in memory, and the need to make retribution redundant.

Small acts of kindness are need now.

There can not be a sudden end or a 'now' solution to this problem.

Israel needs to take the first step.

Small acts of kindness.

To ignore the thrown stone even when the missiles kill and to respond instead with the hand of kindness.

Israel needs to see that there is strength in forming bonds of friendship. That a country that bombs with the accuracy to kill and does not balk at the sight of blood on dead children in Gaza is not a strong country but a weak country.

Israel needs to take the first step.

Small acts of kindness.

If Israel can not help the citizens of Gaza and see them as their own citizens, then Israel has lost. The strong can not claim any moral victory for destroying the weak.

Small acts of kindness…ignore the thrown stones/missiles…respond by talking.

I would like to offer the first small act of kindness namely an invitation to the leaders of both warring parties.

Come to my home.

You do not need to talk.

Let me just make you both a cup of tea.

Though I am a person slight of coin and slight of name, I can offer you both this small act of kindness.

RSVP
.......

2 comments:

  1. You're a star! I won't go too deeply into my views here, suffice to say I was born into a fairly benign christian cult and surrounded with the propaganda they termed 'the truth'. Thankfully my mental immune system was strong enough to resist, but the scars and rifts in my family remain. Two brothers left, two brothers took the easy option and married in. I recent decades I have perused other religious texts and various translations/interpretations of the Judaeo/Christian writngs and the provenance of such.
    It's odd that the Qu'ran venerates the jewish writings and the christian prophet, whilst christian writings venerate the jewish writings and the jewish writings... well, enough said.
    Sorry, I'll stop there!
    Snogs2u! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I too shook off the shackles of religion.

    If religious ideas can cause such rifts in families and lead some to feel alienated and outsiders no wonder we have such problems on a global scale.

    Religious beliefs can cause such barriers between people. And people who like you say have so much in common.

    ReplyDelete