Monday 19 May 2008

I'm in the Meemix!

.
.


What joy! I’ve finally found an internet station to replace Pandora.

I tried Last Fm and could not work out what was going on. It is obviously beyond the understanding of the likes of me.

Then I tried Jango. Jango froze on me. It also tended to play songs that I already knew, when what I really wanted were songs that I’d not discovered yet.
Then I tumbled into Meemix.

Oh Joy!

I’ve already discovered lots of new music such as:

Magnolia electric Co.
Great Lake Swimmers
Ben Harper
Gravenhurst
and Neil Halstead

All people I’d never heard of before.

Like Pandora, Meemix allows you to ban forever songs you do not like; but unlike Pandora it also allows you a sliding scale of response from -6 to +6.

It is also easier to fast forward songs you dislike, unlike Pandora that would only allow you to fast forward through just a few.

A nice touch is the video mode which links to Youtube. Brilliant. ‘Driving with Bert’ and watching the Canadian countryside pass by on the amateur video was hauntingly moving.

It is like walking on untrodden fresh white snow when you mark a track as a favourite and discover that nobody else has ever chosen it. You feel like a pioneer in its pristine splendour.

Then there are times when you mark a track as a favourite and you notice the someone else’s name or image is marked up next to it; one that you’ve noticed before; and you feel cheered that somewhere out there in the big wide world there are a few, just a few like minded souls that share the same taste in music.

Great Pandora, I so mourn your passing. Little Meemix, you are balm to the soul.
.


1 comment:

  1. Hullo Denny dearest! I'll try this out.

    Afraid I lost all my e-mail addresses at the weekend, so whizz me a missive and I can re-instate you!

    Hope your summer's a breeze!

    2008 snogs xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete