Wednesday 30 April 2008

Ten Green Bottles

.
..


I’m in the classroom setting up.
I’d spent three hours the previous afternoon collecting boxes of materials, files and forms.
Then I…
Lugged them out to my car.
Drove them to another centre
Lugged them out of the car.
Had all the resources I’d borrowed checked out and recorded.
Lugged them out to my car.
Drove home.
Lugged them out of the car.
I then spent all the evening preparing the work and materials ready for the lesson. Hours later when I’d finished there had been a hideous moment of crisis when I realised that what I’d prepared might not be compatible with the computers on their computer suite. Luckily, the teenager had been on hand to help. He had converted the documents and had saved them on my memory stick for me; while I, fraught with worry, had paced the room.
As I set out the little library of books for the students to borrow. I realised that I’d already spent six hours in preparation for this two hour lesson. I do the calculations. It’s less than the minimum wage.
‘Ah,’ someone says. ‘I have to tell you…’
I wait curious to hear.
‘Now, I’m afraid…’ she begins to run down the list of students in the class.
‘She won’t be here, her gran is ill,
‘She won’t be here, domestic problems
‘She won’t be here, as she’s in court today
‘Court?’ I say my eyes widening.
‘Oh, it’s not her, it’s her husband,’ her voice falls to a low whisper ‘he’s done something rather serious. It doesn’t look good.’
I daren’t ask what.
‘Now,’ she adds…
‘This one has to go at ten for a hospital appointment.
‘This one has to go at ten-thirty for a hospital appointment too.
She smiles and leaves the room.
I only have four students in the lesson.
One of them has brought in a curious large box.
It reminds me of the box that I’ve lugged into the room.
‘I’ve brought in some brand new books for you to borrow,’ I begin breezily. I indicate the ‘library.
‘I don’t like reading,’ one of them says in a low hostile grunt. ‘How can I get the time for reading with five children to look after?’
They go to look at the books. One of the students has already chosen a book and has written down her name.
‘She’s got the book I want to read,’ Mother of Five children complains as she reluctantly chooses a book.
The lesson begins. ‘I’ve got to go now,’ one of the students says. ‘I’ve a hospital appointment.’
‘So have I,’ Mother of Five says.
They leave.
It’s like ten green bottles.
I’m down to two.
‘I’m going now too,’ Lady with Big Box says. ‘I’ve arranged to talk to the nursery children about my snakes.’
Snakes!
She leaves with the box.
I’m down to one.
It’s her birthday.
‘Happy birthday,’ I say.
Birthday Girl does an exam practice paper. We mark it together. She passes.
And I lug my things back to the car.

No comments:

Post a Comment