Sunday 20 January 2008

Despair


.
.


This is not a poem.
It’s gasps for air.

Yesterday truly was a dark day.
Where do I begin?
Like a pack of cards everything fell.
My computer loaded up in safe mode.
I liked the word ‘safe’.
Felt like a comforting pair of hands.

The day before
There were two songs I’d heard
That I wanted to buy
on line.
I linked to itunes and pressed ‘buy’
Felt the world was just a light tap
beneath my fingers.

This is not a poem
It’s a cry of despair.

Itunes told me
the songs I wanted
were not available
I would have to upgrade to itunes
7 or something.
Did I want to upgrade?
To get two such songs
Yes of course
Then
Press here.

I pressed.
There were passwords
The nightmare like a suffocating cloth
was unfurling.
The teenager was called.
He knew the words and the numbers
and which digits to press.
Felt we were getting somewhere.
Me his marionette.


Installation almost complete.
The last few stages
Time dripping like sticky wax.
I was captive to the screen.
Which finally told me
My computer was not
up to date.
You need downloads
the teenager said.
Installation failed.

So yesterday
In safe mode
I thought
when it asked me again
about those
‘updates are available for your computer’
the ones I’d shied away from
because it was working fine
thank you
and I didn’t want to upset the balance.
This time I pressed
okay.

It took four hours
I did the ironing
the screen did not change.
I cleaned out the bathroom
Even the toothbrush cup
the screen did not change
The green line did not move.

When it finally finished
And I restarted the computer
And I bravely went to the web
Each page
despite broadband
took five minutes to load.

Still now I was updated
Itunes will now work.
I press for the update.
But the update failed.
The screen froze
Pages I’d finished with
Would not fold up
And go away.

I tried Global Pandora
And discovered the box is shut.
Plugs have been pulled out
Like so many teeth
And I’m left
With a gaping wound.

This is not a poem.
Each line is all
My computer will write
Before freezing
and leaving my fingers
cold.

This morning
It only took
forty-five minutes
For the computer
to load up
and get me here.

This is not a poem

It’s despair.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like my Sunday so far! Like a pilchard I installed the CH4od player... my Dingley-Dell was suddenly clogged-up with unwanted process-weeds. 100% CPU usage hangs and no way to turn the blasted thing off short of an uninstall or system restore! Finally edited my MSconfig so it doesn't insist on loading at boot-time. Fingers crossed, this boot seems okay... after 2 hours.
    Don't even mention what they are doing to my beloved Sainsbury drop-in. How will I cope? Sniff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Andy,

    I finally got the courage to uninstall service pack two. My computer is now back to it's old self; though it looks as if it's too obsolete to download from itunes. Heigh ho never mind. I'll just have to make my own music.


    I hope your computer is continuing to work well.

    I'm sorry to hear about Sainsburys.
    Can we start a petition? Are there any railings I can chain myself to?

    love and hugs

    WWM

    ReplyDelete