Saturday 15 December 2007

Hamster update



.
.
His face has the look of a tired old lion, but his eyes look a lot brighter. He’s not drinking any water so I’m giving him treats such as red grapes and cucumber. I’m even treating him to Morrison’s own fruit nuts and seed mix. Trouble is I tend to nibble them too!

To my horror I’ve just noticed that his back leg the one that became entangled in the down bedding is still red and swollen. Worse he is now dragging the leg. I’ve just let him have a ‘run’ around on the kitchen floor which has cold tiles in the hope that it will reduce some of the swelling. I’m going to have to keep an eye on it.

On the Internet I’ve just discovered that this sort of bedding is notorious for causing injury such as loss of limbs and even death to hamsters. Apparently, I should have stuck to sawdust and torn up toilet rolls and not spoilt him with ‘Nestledown’ which purports to be, ‘a cosy and safe bedding for your pet.’

Hammy’s snuggled back in his cage now after feasting on chocolate covered raisins which he prefers to lettuce. There is a strong scent of cucumber in the living room from the delectable salad that lies untouched within his cage but all the chocolate raisins are gone: and Hammy isn't entirely to blame!

No comments:

Post a Comment